Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What I like best

I think I've described before how I thrive on the small interactions that surface gently during each day... and how working at a market guarantees a large number of these interactions, whether they end up being good or bad. Yet, I don't think I've described another aspect that I like about these dealings with the public- I love hearing people's plans.

It starts quite simply. A person asks for a pound of pasta and a quarter pound of pancetta, and then puts the two items in a bag brimming with chard, leeks, cans of tomatoes, and the other ingredients that we base our lives upon. The person mentions: "I'm thinking of making this pasta dish I saw in a magazine the other day..." and we proceed to exchange ideas in the well-lit shop, surrounded by the hustle and bustle yet caught in a flurry of ideas that build upon each other like rungs in a ladder towards the dreamy culinary sky.

I like sitting next to someone in class who's deciding between studying in Russia and Portugal. I like talking to someone about writing a thesis, and how he or she might carry out the necessary fieldwork to sculpt ideas into a concrete reality. I like the way these words bounce off of our minds each day, assuming different states until the final product is established. As alarming as it is sometimes, I'm beginning to see the beauty in not having secure future plans. Our conversations are so much more interesting that way.

I have some pretty grandiose plans that are becoming an ever clearer reality. Thanks for all the support to my friends and family along the way towards this decision. I keep thinking I'm so selfish to carry it out, but I'm realizing more and more that we each earn our ways. I'm just going to post a picture of a nice breakfast for now, as I have very few days off from work to really enjoy the non-industrial kitchen, but I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment