Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hello, December?

Woah! What grandiose plans I had for November.... I wanted to fill your kitchens with wholesome, autumnal goodness... and instead I believe I left you with preserved lemons, first grade cookies, and roasted squash. Oops.

And now, friends, I'll take it one step lower. I'll present you with an empty bowl.


But I hope you get the implication. What I'm about to share with you is good. and fast. and inexpensive. Three qualities I like in the kitchen.

I've had chard on the brain ever since I had some braised chard that my amazing friend Liz made. We got together for a simple dinner, and being the naturally skilled cook that she is, Liz sauteed some garlic in a pan, added the chard, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, and golden chicken broth. The result was so delicious.

I've stripped things down even more. You should try this. And if you feel like it you can send me a picture of the empty bowl. I deserve it :)

Sauteed Chard. No really!
adapted from cave-people

1 bunch of chard
1-2 tbs olive oil
red pepper flakes (to taste)
salt, pepper (ditto)
a splash of lemon juice or good vinegar

Wash the chard and cut or tear into 2-3 inch wide ribbons (don't dry the chard). Heat the olive oil in a pan so it's just coating the bottom. Add the chard, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the chard is barely wilted. Add the lemon juice or vinegar at the end.

I'd serve this with a poached egg and a piece of toast.... or my new favorite thing to do is have a generous piece of brie with some bread on the side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment