Monday, April 6, 2009

An Ode to Spring... and the Avocado


Once upon a time, I attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. I say "once upon a time" because I could only survive one Midwestern winter before I knew that I wouldn't be staying there for long. Now, that's not to say that I didn't have an incredible experience at the institution, or meet some of the best friends I've ever had in my life. However, I'd like to attach a scientific explanation for my flight from the mitten state: given empirical evidence, my positivism and energy shrivel up and hibernate for a good five months when exposed to temperatures below 35 degrees Fahrenheit. Believe me, nobody wants that to happen!

Yet, the University doesn't help much to assuage the weather-induced fears of out-of-state students like myself. The school year comes to a close at the end of April, when Spring is just in sight but has not fully enveloped the city. It's still cold, there's still a chance of snow, and the specter of winter still chills each possible breath of air.

Needless to say, when I left the frosty Midwest to come home to California, I was full of pure, unadulterated angst. I wanted to bravely open each door leading outside without the anticipation of the impending chill in the air. I wanted to run in shorts and a T-shirt instead of spandex and a sweatshirt. I wanted warmth. I wanted color. I wanted flowers. I wanted Spring...

...but most of all. I wanted an avocado.




Yes, the golden fruit of California- with its cragged, coal-colored exterior and buttery (and oh-so comforting) green center! It provided a well-needed welcome back to my home state!

And eat those beacons of verdant goodness I did. I'd slather avocado on whole-wheat toast with a sliced tomato and a drizzle of olive oil. I'd sever it from its shell, mash it with some lime, and call it guacamole. I'd even eat it plain, licking off the dark green remnants from my fingers as I smiled to myself in absolute glee. Ah! I don't know what the afterlife brings, but if there are avocado trees there then I know that I'll be happy!

Still, there was one combination including avocados that I didn't anticipate... and boy, am I excited to share it with you! I remember my first encounter with this foreign arrangement- my mom, conscious of my tenderness from the harsh winter, took me out to a new restaurant in the area. We ordered an interesting-looking salad that combined avocado, citrus, and a brilliant gathering of scallions- all lightly accented by a sweet vinaigrette. We daintily tasted each piece, only to find that together, the components merged in the most harmonious way.

So enough chat! The original recipe combined endive, scallions, avocado, and kumquats... but I only had an orange and shallots on hand. So, I tried to create a more accessible version. This salad is an open invitation for improvisation- as long as you combine the avocado, a citrus, and some kind of onion then you're in business. If you're a ravenous college student like myself, then slide the "composed salad" right on top of a bed of greens and toss with the extra dressing.


Citrus Avocado Salad

adapted from Chez Panisse Vegetables

I admit that I'm experimenting around with portions- this is what I used for one person, however feel free to double or triple the ingredients as you see fit!
Salad:

1/2 of an Avocado
1 Orange (try using a Cara Cara orange if you can find one!)
2 tbs chopped parsley
*bed of romaine or soft lettuce (optional)

Dressing:

1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs orange juice
1/4 of a shallot, finely diced
2 tbs rice vinegar (white wine or champagne vinegar will work fine)
3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil

Cut the rind off of the orange, removing the pith and separating the wedges. If you can, use one segment to generate the tablespoon of orange juice in a separate bowl. Arrange the orange slices on a plate and sprinkle with the parsley.

Combine the lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and diced shallot in a bowl- allow to macerate for a few minutes as you prepare the rest of the dish.

Cut the avocado in half, removing the pit. Cut lengthwise slices along the avocado, then use a spoon to remove the slices from the shell. Arrange them on the plate with the orange and parsley.

Combine the olive oil with the rest of the dressing. Drizzle as much as you'd like on salad and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment