Saturday, September 12, 2009

On Almost-Autumn Days and Soup


It's the perfect kind of overcast day. The kind that causes me to mentally check out- leaving my books behind on the table while I stare out the window with the utmost sensation of comfort and warmth within.

I'd like to imagine that these are the days that inspire poetry, reminiscences of autumns past, home-grown football games in damp, grassy yards, and impromptu soirees around steaming cups of tea.

And when the rain sleeks the glossy surface of my window, I know that the draining heat-filled summer days have come at least to a temporary halt... and that's a relief.

If I wasn't sick with what may or may not be swine flu, I think I'd take advantage of this weather to bounce around outside, and then maybe draw a tree or take a picture of a peculiar front door that I find :) but as I've been stuck here, with an overwhelmingly large pot of chicken soup that I somewhat ruined by plunking a Reggiano rind in the mess, I have needed to do something to keep my mind away from simple linear regressions (econometrics homework).

So I'm going to give you another recipe for chicken soup- sans le fromage

Chicken Soup for the Ill and Healthy
adapted from this recipe by Orangette
This feeds so many you won't know what to do with it. I'd actually recommend freezing some. Anyway, I think it's important to have a recipe for chicken soup handy for those times when you do fall victim to microbial beasts.
3 bone-in chicken breasts (or you can mix it up with thighs as well)
1 bunch of thyme
2 leeks, chopped into small pieces- don't be afraid to use the green parts
3 medium sized carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3-4 stalks celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock (around two quarts... but a little less will do)
1 cup either tiny pasta or rice (I used wild rice)
1 bunch parsley
2-3 cups spinach
Ground black pepper or whole peppercorns
Salt

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Wash the chicken breasts and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and as much thyme as you'd like... make sure you rub the spices into the skin. Then place in an oven-safe dish and cook for about 30 minutes (you'll want it to be cooked through with golden skin... according to the original recipe). Set aside after taking them out of the oven

In a large stock-pot saute the leeks in some oil until they're translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, rice, and celery and saute for a few more minutes. Then add some springs of thyme, salt, and black pepper.. feel free to add any more spices that you see fit. Finally, add the whole chicken breasts and then the stock. You'll want to bring the whole mixture to a boil and then simmer, for maybe 30 minutes or so... until the vegetables are tender. During the cooking process, add as much chopped parsley and spinach as you'd like. When everything looks like it's cooked the way you'd like, then take those chicken breasts out and shred the meat from the bones, adding it to the soup.

I'd serve it with a squeeze or two of lemon and some fresh parsley on top.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful description of autumn. I love this time of year in Berkeley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Liz!!! I saw that you're in charge of the kitchen at Ridge! We should cook or take a farmers market visit together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! I've been going to a farmer's market every weekend I've been back - the produce this time of year is unbelievable. I'm going out of town this weekend, but are you free next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure! I work on Sundays from 12-8, but either in the morning on that day or anytime saturday should be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Well the Berkeley Farmer's Market on Saturdays never disappoints. There's one at Jack London Square in Oakland on Sundays but I wasn't that impressed with their selection, although they did have samples of delicious Indian food. Want to plan on the Saturday Farmer's Market and then going back to one of our respective kitchens and cooking with what we find?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds excellent. I used to go to the JLS farmer's market as a kid and it's really gone down hill in terms of selection. So not this week but the next- talk to you soon I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete